Wednesday, December 1, 2010

For Your Consideration












It's getting closer to that time of the year, Oscar season is arriving. I can't wait to be disappointed in a few months time. New sites from studios pushing films for this Oscar season are popping up.

Focus Features

Warner Brothers

Lions Gate

The Weinstein Company

Dreamworks Animation

Roadside Attractions

Sony Pictures

Walt Disney

From these my personal favorite is Focus Features. My current two favorite films I've seen this year are both being pushed by Focus, The American and Greenberg. Plus Somewhere is my most anticipated film of the year behind Sylvain Chomet's The Illusionist. If any of those will win anything is different a story. Coppola's Somewhere I can assume will get a nomination though I have my doubts whether it'll win anything. It's been received rather well, even winning Best Film at the Venice Film Festival so I'm assuming it'll grab a spot in that category. Though it's still too soon to be making a lot of Oscar predictions.

Next we have Warner Brothers with Inception, Hereafter, and The Town as their front runners it seems, all from popular film makers though Eastwood's Hereafter received less praise than could be hoped for when it came out.

Next we have The Weinstein Company with The King's Speech as their big Oscar contender, I can make a good assumption that it'll pick up a handful of nominations.

Roadside Attractions' film Winter's Bone has gotten a lot of attention recently so maybe that can pick up some momentum though I don't know how likely that'll be. Though they also have Biutiful starring Oscar winner Javier Bardem and from another well liked director.

Disney's Toy Story 3 is their crown jewel while the other films they're pushing are mainly technical award stuff and Tangled which will sure to take an animated feature nomination. Which doesn't look good for Dreamworks Animation, though How to Train Your Dragon is one of their better features I can't see it coming up on top against something like Toy Story 3, which has a chance to be the second Pixar feature to take a best picture nomination.

We also have Sony Pictures which is pushing probably the main certainty for a best picture nomination, The Social Network which also has a good chance of winning best picture this year as well. I would expect it's currently the front runner, but it's too close to call especially since we haven't even seen nominations yet.

Though this is only a glimpse of what's to come. I'm sure Fox Searchlight's Black Swan will have a lot of attention this Oscar season as well as the new True Grit adaptation from the Coen brothers among other films like Danny Boyle's 127 Hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment